It is well established that faithful and regular attendance in school is related to student progress and achievement. In order for your child to do his or her very best, it is important that he/she be in school as many days as possible
Since September 1998, a new law (SB727) has been in effect, which changes how schools receive funding for attendance. School funding is now based on actual attendance of students, and funding will no longer be given for excused absences. The new law is intended to increase student attendance.
For both educational and financial reasons, we need your help in making sure your child has good attendance. There are times when it is necessary for a child to miss school. For example, we do not recommend that a child come to school if he/she is ill or could spread his/her illness to others. We need your help in minimizing all other absences.
Please note that parents are required to clear absences. Under the new law, schools must continue to track all absences and report them to the state. Zangle Parent-Connect is a computer program which is accessible for parents to view their child’s daily attendance, as well many other things.
Our procedure is a period-by-period attendance check, which is posted by each individual teacher. Each day, we know the period or periods that a student has missed the previous day. When a student is absent, students and parents should adhere to the following procedure.
If you receive a call from the attendance call-out system regarding your student’s absence, you are required to (1) Listen to the entire message; (2) Press 1 to respond to the message; and, (3) Press # (pound) to end the phone call. If all three steps are not followed, your message will not be received.
1. All absences must be cleared by telephone. Parent notes will not be accepted. Only parents and guardians may clear absences. Doctors’ notes are accepted and preferred over parent calls.
2. To accommodate the needs of the entire student body, absences may be cleared in one of the following methods:
a. You may call the attendance office between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and speak directly to one of the attendance clerks, or leave a voice mail. You may call for Clovis East students: 327-4100, & 327-4028 or for Reyburn Intermediate students 327-4653
b. After 3:30 p.m. you may leave a message for Clovis East students at 327-4100 or for Reyburn Intermediate students at 327-4653 . The answering machine is available to you 24 hours-a-day. The messages will be retrieved and absences cleared. If the attendance clerks have any questions, or need to verify information, they will return your call. Hmong and Spanish interpreters are available to assist with any issues regarding attendance.
c. The Global Connect system will automatically call home in the evening when your student has one or more period absences the previous day. It allows you to follow prompts and clear absences at that time.
d. If your student was not absent, or at a school event, and you received a call in error, please have your student contact their teacher, coach, or counselor to correct this error and clear with the attendance office.
a. All absences must be cleared within 24 hours of their occurrence. Absences uncleared after 24 hours are considered a truancy. Uncleared/unverified absences, or truancies, will result in appropriate disciplinary action.
b. Students must obtain an off-campus pass prior to leaving campus during the school day. Failure to obtain an off-campus pass prior to leaving campus, will be considered a truancy, and will result in detention/Saturday school. Students will be referred to the Student Services Center for disciplinary action.
c. State Law requires all students must attend school daily. Acceptable excuses, which allow work to be made-up include the following:
1. Legitimate illness 3. Court appearance
2. Medical appointment 4. Bereavement
d. It is the student’s responsibility to pick up their off-campus pass for a pre-arranged appointment. We do not send a reminder, nor do we deliver passes to classes.
e. Due to the CUSD closed campus policy, 7th, 8th, 9th , 10th, and 11th grade students must be picked up and signed out in the Attendance Office, by a parent/guardian.
4. Students arriving to school 20 (or more) minutes late, must go to the attendance office for an admit slip. Students arriving to school less than 20 minutes late, can go to class provided a parent calls to excuse the tardiness. Otherwise, the students go directly to class and receive an unexcused tardy.
5. In order to minimize classroom interruptions, and to maintain a positive learning environment, messages to classrooms are very limited.
ATTENDANCE REGULATIONS AND PROCEDURES
1. Long Term Absences: If the absence is going to last for five or more days, the principal or designee may authorize placing the student on Independent Study for the duration of the absence. If Independent Study is needed for personal travel, the parent should contact the Counselorat least two to four days prior to the anticipated absence, to complete an Independent Study Contract. Arrangements and paperwork for Independent Study, are to be done prior to the absence.
2. Absences Due to Suspension: A student who has been suspended from school, shall be allowed to complete all assignments and other work missed during the suspension, including tests, which can reasonably be provided in a time frame arranged by the teacher. Upon satisfactory completion of assignments or other work, the student shall be given full credit.
3. Uncleared Absence and/or Truancy: A student whose absence is not cleared, unauthorized, considered as a truancy or not due to a suspension, may not be allowed to complete assignments, tests, or other classwork missed due to the absence.
Off-Campus Permits are issued in the Attendance Office, but those for emergency illness are issued by the School Nurse prior to the student's departure from school.
1. Off-Campus permits will be issued for the following reasons:
a. Illness verified by the school nurse, or the nurse’s office.
b. Appointments with doctor, dentist or optometrist. The name/address stamp of the doctor or the doctor's nurse must be obtained at the time of the appointment.
c. Illness and/or death in the family, or funeral attendance when verified by the parent.
2. Senior Off-Campus Lunch Permit - According to Board Policy, seniors must request permission to leave campus for lunch each year from the Governing Board. If approved, the procedure is as follows:
a. Seniors must return an off-campus permit application (provided in the registration packet, or picked up in the Activities Office) to the Activities Office, signed by a parent or legal guardian, giving permission for the student to leave campus during his/her lunch period.
b. An off-campus sticker will be put on the ID card of seniors with a signed permission slip.
c. Seniors may go to any establishment for lunch once they have obtained a Senior Off-Campus Permit.
d. Seniors must present a valid Clovis East High School I.D., with an off-campus sticker, to the administrator on duty, before leaving campus.
e. Seniors are not permitted to transport underclassmen off-campus for lunch, or be in a vehicle with an underclassman.
f. Seniors in violation of off-campus privileges will have those privileges revoked and/or receive other disciplinary action.
g. Seniors who are failing class(es), not in good standing, or who have been placed on non-privilege, may have their senior lunch privileges revoked.
h. Any student entering their senior year that has received 2 or more “F’s” the second semester of their junior year will be placed on a senior contract with a temporary removal of off-campus privilege until grades improve and are determined to be in satisfactory academic standing by their counselor.
i. Any student entering their senior year that has been determined to have excessive absences their junior year, will be placed on a senior contract with a temporary removal of off-campus lunch privilege until attendance is improved.
3. Only seniors are permitted to go off campus for lunch.
4. Students, other than seniors, who are issued a one-day drive-off pass, must not transport any other student in their vehicle, unless specific permission is received from school administration. Passes may only be used for the authorized student.
5. Any underclassman caught off campus during the lunch hour, will be assigned disciplinary consequences, and may lose their senior lunch privileges for the beginning of their senior year.
STUDENT MAKE-UP POLICY FOR ABSENCES
1. Not all educational activities can be duplicated; therefore, excessive absences
may result in a grade reduction or failing grade.
2. Make-up work is encouraged, and is to be determined by the individual teacher.
3. It is the student's responsibility to make up work missed due to absences.
4. Students will be given time to make up work for authorized absences that is equivalent to the number of days missed (e.g., a two day absence requires make-up work for two missed class meetings).
5. Students are expected to complete (on time) any classwork they were assigned prior to their absence.